Essay, Pages 4 (935 words)
Technology is advancing at alarming rates. In order to keep up with this ever growing field new means of education must be implemented. Distance Learning may very well be the best way to reach mass amounts of people rapidly. The advantages of Distance Learning are clear. The results are rapid and affect a broad community of people. Particularly with the field of technology, these qualities are necessary when examining way to teach those eager to learn. However, along with the advantages come the disadvantages.
The purpose of this website is to outline a few of the advantages and disadvantages of distance learning, paying special attention to the field of technology. Cost: The cost of distance learning may eventually be significantly less than that of education as we know it today. Classrooms require books, binders, pens, transportation, and the actual expense of rent. Distance learning may one day rule out al of these expenses. Books may be available online, notes very easily could be taken using any word processor, and rent is eliminated as both students and professors could logon from the convenience of their own homes.
The greatest advantage of Distance Learning is its ability to reach many users’ that would otherwise have no way of taking classes. A grandmother may be too embarrassed to go to the local community college and sit amongst 18 year olds fresh out of high school. Distance Learning eliminates the need to feel judged by classmates. This may also help students who have physical or mental disabilities and wish to be home schooled.
Another example of the broad outreach Distance Learning accounts for is the person that works 9-5 and has a family to provide for.
This person may not have the time to travel to class, or the money to afford a baby-sitter. Distance Learning allows those with difficult schedules to learn on thier own time.
A major disadvantage of Distance Learning is the lack of interaction between teacher and student. Even when a lesson is taught live on the internet, the instructor misses cues, such as confused faces, that can only be seen live. The instructor cannot yell at a student for passing notes, or talking to their friend.
Distance Learning may not be for everyone. Those who do not have a strong desire to really learn the material may easily be distracted. Already on the internet, they may be online talking to friends, or playing online pool. When a student needs extra help it may be hard for the professor to guide them without actually being there to walk them through every step of the way. Cheating: When a class is given online, cheating may be very hard to detect. It is very easy to cheat on exams that are given online, in the privacy of one’s home.
Conceivable a student could receive an A in a course that another student took for them. Even at SUNY Albany, there have been cases of student cheating on online quizzes and Web CT submissions. Before Distance Learning is implemented on any large scale, this issue must be further examined.
Advantages And Disadvantages Of Online Education
Getting an online education has become a very popular technique these days. Whether you are looking for a high school diploma or a graduate degree or some specialized certification to supplement your existing knowledge, it is very convenient to obtain these without having to take time off from your schedule to attend a regular educational institution. There are many advantages associated with online study.
Some are given below:
- Unlike traditional learning, distance learning can offer you greater flexibility, as you don’t have to waste time- and money- commuting to the campus and you can choose a program that truly suits your interests or professional needs, because you are not confined to the classes that are offered locally.
- Another advantage to distance learning is the fact that you can continue to work, because you don’t have to worry about fitting your classes around your job schedule.
- Online programs often cost less than their traditional counterparts, so you can save money on tuition, if you pursue your degree through an online university.
- Online study is also a great option for those students with physical handicaps, which may prevent them from traveling to a traditional campus. Likewise, if you are shy, or perhaps even language-challenged, participating in an online course may be the perfect alternative to a live class.
There are some major advantages to online education, including the ability to set your own study time. You may be looking for a promotion or career change that requires additional training or you may simply be ready to learn something new. But with today’s busy lifestyle, there’s little time to devote to regularly scheduled class time. That’s where online education can be a great asset for a motivated person. Although there are many advantages of an online education, there are also some disadvantages.
- The fact that you are working on your own could very well be one of the major disadvantages of taking online educational classes.
- Another major disadvantage is the lack of interaction. You aren’t in a classroom and don’t have the opportunity to hear questions and discussion from other students. This isn’t always an issue, depending on the subject of the online education course you are taking, but it could be an important factor in deciding whether an online education is the best option when seeking out opportunities for learning new skills or gaining new training.
But above all the disadvantages the online education is gaining more esteem than traditional education.