You need to choose a sector of the Community Services Industry and research the current issues influencing service delivery in that sector and answer the questions below based on your research. A sector could include:
* Aged care
* Home and community care
* Disability services
* Alcohol and other drugs
* Family and domestic violence
* Mental Health
* Community development
* Community work
* Youth work and juvenile justice
* Children’s services
* Child protection
* Employment services
Answer the following questions based on your research:
1. State the sector you have researched
Aged care: Research sources shown page 6
The community service sector I have done is on Lourdes Nursing Home in Port Macquarie.
2. Identify the current needs of this sector’s target group. * Staffing shortages are a problem at Lourdes Nursing Home and other nursing homes as aged care is a not a desirable job to many people as the pay rates for employees are not enough in this work sector. People have to have the right characteristics for example the need to be empathic towards the aged also very patient and caring to care for aged people. * The fact the population is growing and more of our population is ageing over the next 40 years so the need for more care is prevalent in Port Macquarie. This in turn is placing great stress on our community and on financial resources. The need for more funding in the aged care facilities is putting great pressure on the health system. * A lack of beds due to the increasing ageing population has put a large amount of stress on the Aged care sector as the need is not matching the demand. * The need for an updated facility for families wanting their loved ones to have their own rooms for privacy and other wishes that are not being met.
* Due to the lack of available beds in the local Aged Care Facility, often the patient is sent away to another town’s facility which creates burdens on those families that are unable to visit due to distance or lack of transport. * Another problem arises if a loved one has passed away at a particular facility there is a memory association that precludes the resident from wanting to be placed there. * Another issue for residents is the shortage of doctors. When someone has to come into care many doctors don’t travel to visit age care facility .After maybe 40 years of looking after them once these people come into care the doctors won’t make home visits so . This makes residents quite isolated a sad thought but this is an issue hard to fix as it comes down to money and time.
3. Identify a Community Service organisation within this sector. * The community service organisation that I have researched is Lourdes Nursing Home Port Macquarie which had opened in 1975 and has 65 beds.
4. What are the roles and functions of this organisation? * To care for people assessed by ACAT as needing high care. * There is a dementia specific unit for the people that are wandering and have behavioural issues. * Another role is that of palliative care.
* To fulfil the mission statement of servicing all those in need. * One of their biggest roles are to be respectful of, and actively promote, the dignity and independence of each person in our care. * Then to work in professional manner to both residents and co- workers. * To have a high level of compassion and understanding towards those with declining capacities.
5. What have been the organisation’s responses to the changing needs of this target group? Some of the organisations responses to the changing need are: * Building new facility everything will be new for residents compared to the old facility. The need for more privacy has been met in the way of each person has their own bedroom with bathroom and toilet. * Having the new facility will improve the comfort of residents and their wellbeing.
* In the new dementia specific unit we are able to increase or decrease ward size due to the new design allowing for that to occur. * The nursing home cannot increase the number of beds due to the lack of funding that is allocated to the Aged Care sector.
6. How does this organisation demonstrate a commitment to access and equity principles? * The organisation has demonstrated a commitment to access and equity principles by its mission statement of treating all people with love and kindness irrespective of age, race, colour or creed. The facility does this through having residents from all cultures, ages and genders and they are all looked after equally. The organisation also employs people following the same principles. * At Lourdes they also cater for many different events by decorating the facility and usually having a meal from that culture (Chinese New Year, Christmas, Celebrations). * Also for residents from other parts of the world we have posters up telling them in their first spoken language what a toilet is in their language.
7. What strategies has the organisation implemented to improve work practices? * There is a folder that is called an AMQAS that if you need to know any procedure or policy on anything relating to work e.g. personal hygiene, making a complaint. * The organisation has implemented processes that comply with current requirements from the Department of health and family services to improve work practices. * Training and motivational courses are held on a one to two year basis to keep employees up to date with education requirement.
The following questions are about self-reflection.
8. For each of the following, identify 2 strategies you could undertake in regards to your personal communication skills in the workplace.
a) To review or reflect on your personal communication skills in the workplace (i.e. review or reflect on how well you use your skills) * These things I have asked work colleagues and one of my supervisors about my personal communication skills in the work place: * Having a non-judgemental attitude is very important in the industry I work. As all people have different options on how they like things being done and as long as the job gets done without any harm to anyone that is fine. * I consider myself to have great communication skills in my work place, I am always understanding of others, I have a positive approach to life. * I understand and am very aware of people’s differences both physically and mentally.
* I am good listener I allow people to speak and make eye contact quite regularly so the person I am listening to knows they have my undivided attention. * Also having a desire to really listen to what some one is saying is important so that no-one can have a misunderstanding about things in the work place. * With empathy I was told that I always put myself in client’s shoes when talking and understanding both residents and co-workers.
b) To revise your personal skills in communication in the workplace (i.e. using your reflections to revise what you do and do it differently next time) * In situations where I have had to be very understanding is where a resident has asked me to help them get up from their chair because of their physical inabilities they had trouble standing I have taken my time to help them in every way they needed help. * Sometimes residents have just wanted a listening ear and I am there to listen and to be reassuring. * One resident told me I make a good nurse as I always want to help and I am very compassionate. * Sometimes but not often there are residents that can be quite rude I never argue back as I understand what they are saying is not personal and that the resident saying these things is not mentally coherent.
9. What is the purpose of reflecting on your own work practices? The purpose of reflecting on your own work practices is you can see where your own positives are and negatives are in communication and improve on the negatives to do better next time this in turn reflects onto others to improve themselves. Most of all self-reflections make better people in time.
10. What work practices could you reflect on?The work practices that I could reflect on are staying with my nursing rather than do all the jobs in the nursing home I do so I get better skilled in nursing. At the moment I am multi-skilled to do laundry, Kitchen and cleaning also nursing because of the shortage of ancillary workers I have been doing more of the ancillary then nursing so I would like to reflect on nursing and specialize so my skills and knowledge improve.
11. Reflect on your current skills, knowledge, qualities or attributes in regards to working in the Community Services Industry and answer the following questions:
a) Identify and discuss an area where you would like professional development. The area that I would like professional development in is nursing in Dementia as I am very interested in this area I would like to learn more about the types of dementia and how to handle the people with this illness.
b) Find a training organisation that provides professional development in this area. Provide the name of the training organisation as well as the title of the course. Dementia and Memory: Community Centre Alzheimer’s Australia NSW.
Courtney from Study Moose
Hi there, would you like to get such a paper? How about receiving a customized one? Check it out https://goo.gl/3TYhaX