Haven't found the Essay You Want?
GET YOUR CUSTOM ESSAY SAMPLE
For Only $12.90/page

Which Film do You Like Most? Essay

I saw Iron Man 3 last night, it is a nice film. I like it. What is your favorite film recently? I don’t have favorite movies in general. However, I enjoy many, especially if they are family friendly. The last movie that I watched would have to be ‘Pi.” I really enjoyed the music, can’t pick a favorite scene because I have too many to pick a favorite!

Now that the days are getting colder in Minnesota, and as a family we can’t spend all evening outside, it’s a good excuse to cozy up in the couch and watch new releases at home. Just like this past weekend, when as a family we watched, Barbie Mariposa & the Fairy Princess. Being with children and a wife I generally do not get out to see big kid movies.

However, we did go see Epic and it was really good. I have enjoyed most everything from Pixar and Dreamworks in the last few years.

I did rent Star Trek: Into Darkness on Saturday night. Not a great film but I enjoyed it none the less. Saw the commercials for Epic and it did look interesting; however I was not able to make time to watch it in theaters. I will definitely have to pick it up for my girls to watch.

An all-time favorite has to be Pixar: UP! I cry every time we watch it! Then again, I cry in almost any movie … yes even horror movies. Which kind of movies do you like best?Drama, action, crime, horror, love, comedy, ect? What is it? War or fantasy, we all need to escape reality sometime right?! Comedy, thriller, historical, action??? Anything French I don’t care Movies that are unexpected and make you think, Inception etc. As a Film Critic I love all sorts of genres, but if I had to choose 1 it would be Horror, because they are unique and sometimes have good moral stories. All movies have something to offer, it just depends on what you need at the time. Just like you have cravings for particular foods, your body is telling you that you need iron, for example. Sometimes you feel like watching a comedy because you need to laugh or you watch a drama because you need to cry. Movies allow us to experience emotions outside of ourselves and that can be massively cathartic.

I love film noir, but I watch every single movie I can get my hands on. Action movies really help me unwind after a particularly annoying day at work. Something about watching things blow up and bad guys get what’s coming to them makes me smile. Seems a lot of us like Action and comedy films

Science fiction and action movies
For me, nothing is going to top Inception for a while yet (what kind of a movie was it?) but prior to that it was Mama Mia, so I guess I like many different types of movies. I like movies that are well made, you know, with good acting, good directing, good sound, good dialogue, good action….

I’d say I like movies from each genre, but most of the action films are poorly made (too often I can’t keep track of who is who, and find a severe lack of good dialogue) while many drama films fail in the action department, crime films may have good dialogue & action but the sound quality is poor (love Johnny Depp but disliked his Al Capone film cuz I couldn’t hear it!) Horror films, lets see, what can be said about horror films? Too much blood & gore with poor acting, poor directing, ridiculous dialogue, and hilarious action – oh yeah, and way too much skin for it to seriously be considered a horror film rather than a porno film. Romance films – too close to porno nowadays, and really, where do people come up with the idea to fake an orgasm in the middle of lunch at a diner?? Comedies just aren’t funny anymore…. I like all genres. But no matter what genre it’s hard to find good ones. I don’t like bodily function jokes in comedy. I like witty banter.

Topic: Watching a movie at a cinema and at home, which do you prefer? —***—
WRITING:
Watching movies is an amazing activity to relax for many people nowadays. After a hard-working day, what can be more satisfying than watching films and concentrating with amusement on the plots? I like seeing films, too. Although I have many film DVDs at home, I still prefer watching films at cinemas. One of the biggest factors that make me feel like watching films at cinemas is the bigger screen and realer sound I can enjoy there. I have a TV which can play my DVDs, but I do not have enough money to buy a modern and fashioned system of projector and loudspeakers which is sold with an extremely high price at store. Furthermore, even if I could afford it, I still would not feel as satisfied as in a cinema, because I know that cinemas always invest their capital in developing the quality of their films, so the images and sound in cinemas are usually perfect, and I do not think that anyone can easily get such quality in his home.

Besides a higher quality of the films, a second factor that makes me attached to cinemas is that I can take this as an opportunity to go out and get out of the confine of my house. After an exhausting week with a lot of stresses that have strained on me, time for resting is really invaluable for me. So I always wait for weekends to relax, at night, I want go out and breathe the cool breeze of the night, and I often go to the cinema to see a film so that I can effectively use the remaining time of freedom. This is also a chance for me to get out of my house and enjoy a new wider space, interact with people and be more positive. Additionally, the third reason for my statement is that by going to a cinema, I can watch the film with many people.

Actually, I can invite my friends to my house to watch a film with me, but I still do not think it is a great idea, because nowhere can we find as many people watching the same movie as in a cinema. Moreover, when watching film in a cinema, one can laugh, cry and even be scared about the films with people all around him, he can talk freely with others about the film and the characters, which makes the films even more interesting and more attracting than at home. In my opinion, watching films in cinemas is preferred than watching them at home because of the above reasons. Today, cinemas are trying to improve the standard of their films, many technologies are developed to make the viewers feel as real as possible, and this makes watching films at cinemas an impossible-to-miss chance to get.

Nicely-done, well-organized essay. This essay would score at least a B in most freshman classes in most Universities in the US.

The use of transitions is especially fine:
– One of the biggest factors that make me feel like watching films at cinemas is … – Besides a higher quality of the films, a second factor that makes
me attached to cinemas is… These excellent transitions keep the reader on track, and give the feeling that the author is firmly in control of the material and the essay.

The essay gave three sound reasons for this preference:

Better audio and visual quality
Getting out of the house for a spell
Sharing the experience with an audience

Even more, the author used intelligence and judgment in planning the sequence of the points, putting them in their best possible order (the weakest point buried in the middle, and the strongest point last.)

However, the student had a lot of trouble thinking of how to draw out these self-evident observations. One of the biggest weakness of this essay is the large amount of repetition: “I do not have enough money to buy a modern and fashioned system of projector and loudspeakers which is sold with an extremely high price at store…” This is all padding and repetition, the long way to say, “While their quality may approach that found in cinemas, big home theater systems are too expensive.”

The result of not finding ways to bolster the topic assertions was to make the paragraphs’ supporting points sound like a stretch. This is the biggest fault with this essay. Only the fact that the paragraph topics are good keeps the essay from sinking completely into an unconvincing snow job: “So I always wait for weekends to relax, at night, I want go out and breathe the cool breeze of the night, and I often go to the cinema to see a film so that I can effectively use the remaining time of freedom. This is also a chance for me to get out of my house and enjoy a new wider space, interact with people and be more positive.” This is not an acceptable way to say,”Besides, it gets me out of the house.”

The author was enterprising in trying to use “personal experience” as a way to bolster the topic assertions of the paragraphs, but the attempt was not completely successful. The author needed to work harder to think of ways to state the obvious without being repetitive or infantile.

One tactic that can be used sometimes is to acknowledge the opposite point of view: Going out is a lot of trouble and fuss when you’re tired; going to the movies is expensive; going alone is no fun, so you have to mesh with the schedules of your friends. “These are disincentives to going to the movies, but even so, it is still preferable because …. “

If the useless words, self-evident observations, and repeats were deleted (as they should be), the essay would be about 1/3 of its present length (as it should be.)

If the student needs to write a longer essay, he needs more ideas — not more words.

The last transition is not as good as the first two.

Additionally, the third reason for my statement is that by going to a cinema, I can watch the film with many people. > “Additionally” is not the best transition signpost
> Since the author was clever enough to save the best reason for last, then “the best reason” is a better transition signpost > “for my statement” is not only awkward, it is an “anti-orientation” because it causes doubt about which “statement” is meant But the best reason for going to the movies is to participate with an audience in the shared experience.

I debated back and forth about including an orienting phrase: “But the best reason to go to the movies instead of watching movies at home is that going to the movies allows me to participate …” > In the end I rejected it as not necessary enough to bear all those words. > I also thought that the stuffy and long-winded nature of the remarks was out of sync with the actual MEANING of the words (“It’s more fun!”) Nothing could be less fun than reading all those words.

The introduction and conclusion are not particularly great. The author needed to work harder to make them smooth and graceful.

Watching movies is an amazing activity to relax for many people nowadays. After a hard-working day, what can be more satisfying than watching films and concentrating with amusement on the plots? I like seeing films, too. Although I have many film DVDs at home, I still prefer watching films at cinemas. > I think the author missed a chance to “back up” far enough from the topic. > The Intro is the place to establish your essay in its larger context, to place it in a bigger frame > Thinking up what that “frame” could be does require a few minutes of reflection, but I don’t think the author worked toward that goal. I think the author got distracted by the prompt into charging straight ahead into setting up his three points, and so lost his chance to write a distinguished Intro. > I think a much better intro would be one that discusses some larger aspect of the theme: What do movies MEAN to us? or “How many gazillion dollars have we been spending on DVDs — and what has happened to the movie industry as a result? Are movie houses dead?” > I would have gone with this:

Psychology Movies: Exploring The Relationship Between Movies And Psychology Movies are mankind’s highest realization of our archetypal desire: “Tell me a story!” When we want to stay at home and hear a story, we can read a novel, listen to our grandmothers, or watch TV. These are pale substitutes for the oceanic, multi-sensory experience of being at the movies, but nothing is as trivializing as watching a movie substitute at home. Nothing diminishes a movie so much as shrinking an MGM lion into a DVD pussycat.

The conclusion too is weak and insufficiently contemplated.
“In my opinion, watching films in cinemas is preferred than watching them at home because of the above reasons. Today, cinemas are trying to improve the standard of their films, many technologies are developed to make the viewers feel as real as possible, and this makes watching films at cinemas an impossible-to-miss chance to get. > This is awkward and ungraceful

> In addition, it seems to be bringing up new topics — when it’s too late now to do so (not that they are developed anyway.) > Remarks about new technology are just plain off-topic
> This gives the impression that the author was out of ideas, and didn’t care to work hard at coming up with any

This paragraph misunderstands the meaning and purpose of a conclusion. – A conclusion in a tiny essay like this one is not a summary. – It’s really almost not a wrap-up
– It is merely a mechanism to exit the essay by “ending” it — as opposed to letting it sound like it “stopped.” – Sometimes an essay with no “ending” just sounds like it unexpectedly fell off the table, like a cat in a Funny Home Video YouTube – Funny Cat fall

– I think most of these essays don’t require anything at all after the last paragraph – But I sympathize with the students’ feeling that they have to turn in a dutiful five-paragraph essay – At least they should know that if they are writing articles for the college newspaper, it would be advisable to omit this “conclusion” completely – In the meantime, they should practice being creative within the structure demanded: One-sentence conclusions would be one creative way to do this. – If this were my essay, I would consider a last “paragraph” of one line: See you at the movies!

And that’s why I’m catching a movie tonight. You come too.
Originally Posted by hieppham90
Topic: Watching a movie at a cinema and at home, which do you prefer? —***—
WRITING:
Watching movies is an amazing activity to relax for many people nowadays. After a hard-working day, what can be more satisfying than watching films and concentrating with amusement on the plots? I like seeing films, too. Although I have many film DVDs at home, I still prefer watching films at cinemas. One of the biggest factors that make me feel like watching films at cinemas is the bigger screen and realer sound I can enjoy there. I have a TV which can play my DVDs, but I do not have enough money to buy a modern and fashioned system of projector and loudspeakers which is sold with an extremely high price at store. Furthermore, even if I could afford it, I still would not feel as satisfied as in a cinema, because I know that cinemas always invest their capital in developing the quality of their films, so the images and sound in cinemas are usually perfect, and I do not think that anyone can easily get such quality in his home.

Besides a higher quality of the films, a second factor that makes me attached to cinemas is that I can take this as an opportunity to go out and get out of the confine of my house. After an exhausting week with a lot of stresses that have strained on me, time for resting is really invaluable for me. So I always wait for weekends to relax, at night, I want go out and breathe the cool breeze of the night, and I often go to the cinema to see a film so that I can effectively use the remaining time of freedom. This is also a chance for me to get out of my house and enjoy a new wider space, interact with people and be more positive. Additionally, the third reason for my statement is that by going to a cinema, I can watch the film with many people.

Actually, I can invite my friends to my house to watch a film with me, but I still do not think it is a great idea, because nowhere can we find as many people watching the same movie as in a cinema. Moreover, when watching film in a cinema, one can laugh, cry and even be scared about the films with people all around him, he can talk freely with others about the film and the characters, which makes the films even more interesting and more attracting than at home. In my opinion, watching films in cinemas is preferable to watching them at home because of the above reasons. Today, cinemas are trying to improve the standard of their films, many technologies are developed to make the viewers feel as real as possible, and this makes watching films at cinemas an impossible-to-miss chance to get. Your essays are improving!

Originally Posted by Ann1977 at

Nicely-done, well-organized essay. This essay would score at least a B in most freshman classes in most Universities in the US.

The use of transitions is especially fine:
– One of the biggest factors that make me feel like watching films at cinemas is … – Besides a higher quality of the films, a second factor that makes me attached to cinemas is… These excellent transitions keep the reader on track, and give the feeling that the author is firmly in control of the material and the essay.

The essay gave three sound reasons for this preference:
Better audio and visual quality
Getting out of the house for a spell
Sharing the experience with an audience

Even more, the author used intelligence and judgment in planning the sequence of the points, putting them in their best possible order (the weakest point buried in the middle, and the strongest point last.)

However, the student had a lot of trouble thinking of how to draw out these self-evident observations. One of the biggest weakness of this essay is the large amount of repetition: “I do not have enough money to buy a modern and fashioned system of projector and loudspeakers which is sold with an extremely high price at store…” This is all padding and repetition, the long way to say, “While their quality may approach that found in cinemas, big home theater systems are too expensive.”

The result of not finding ways to bolster the topic assertions was to make the paragraphs’ supporting points sound like a stretch. This is the biggest fault with this essay. Only the fact that the paragraph topics are good keeps the essay from sinking completely into an unconvincing snow job: “So I always wait for weekends to relax, at night, I want go out and breathe the cool breeze of the night, and I often go to the cinema to see a film so that I can effectively use the remaining time of freedom. This is also a chance for me to get out of my house and enjoy a new wider space, interact with people and be more positive.” This is not an acceptable way to say,”Besides, it gets me out of the house.”

The author was enterprising in trying to use “personal experience” as a way to bolster the topic assertions of the paragraphs, but the attempt was not completely successful. The author needed to work harder to think of ways to state the obvious without being repetitive or infantile.

One tactic that can be used sometimes is to acknowledge the opposite point of view: Going out is a lot of trouble and fuss when you’re tired; going to the movies is expensive; going alone is no fun, so you have to mesh with the schedules of your friends. “These are disincentives to going to the movies, but even so, it is still preferable because …. “

If the useless words, self-evident observations, and repeats were deleted (as they should be), the essay would be about 1/3 of its present length (as it should be.)

If the student needs to write a longer essay, he needs more ideas — not more words.

The last transition is not as good as the first two.

Additionally, the third reason for my statement is that by going to a cinema, I can watch the film with many people. > “Additionally” is not the best transition signpost
> Since the author was clever enough to save the best reason for last, then “the best reason” is a better transition signpost > “for my statement” is not only awkward, it is an “anti-orientation” because it causes doubt about which “statement” is meant But the best reason for going to the movies is to participate with an audience in the shared experience.

I debated back and forth about including an orienting phrase: “But the best reason to go to the movies instead of watching movies at home is that going to the movies allows me to participate …” > In the end I rejected it as not necessary enough to bear all those words. > I also thought that the stuffy and long-winded nature of the remarks was out of sync with the actual
MEANING of the words (“It’s more fun!”) Nothing could be less fun than reading all those words.

The introduction and conclusion are not particularly great. The author needed to work harder to make them smooth and graceful.

Watching movies is an amazing activity to relax for many people nowadays. After a hard-working day, what can be more satisfying than watching films and concentrating with amusement on the plots? I like seeing films, too. Although I have many film DVDs at home, I still prefer watching films at cinemas. > I think the author missed a chance to “back up” far enough from the topic. > The Intro is the place to establish your essay in its larger context, to place it in a bigger frame > Thinking up what that “frame” could be does require a few minutes of reflection, but I don’t think the author worked toward that goal. I think the author got distracted by the prompt into charging straight ahead into setting up his three points, and so lost his chance to write a distinguished Intro. > I think a much better intro would be one that discusses some larger aspect of the theme: What do movies MEAN to us? or “How many gazillion dollars have we been spending on DVDs — and what has happened to the movie industry as a result? Are movie houses dead?” > I would have gone with this:

Psychology Movies: Exploring The Relationship Between Movies And Psychology Movies are mankind’s highest realization of our archetypal desire: “Tell me a story!” When we want to stay at home and hear a story, we can read a novel, listen to our grandmothers, or watch TV. These are pale substitutes for the oceanic, multi-sensory experience of being at the movies, but nothing is as trivializing as watching a movie substitute at home. Nothing diminishes a movie so much as shrinking an MGM lion into a DVD pussycat.

The conclusion too is weak and insufficiently contemplated.
“In my opinion, watching films in cinemas is preferred than watching them at home because of the above reasons. Today, cinemas are trying to improve the standard of their films, many technologies are developed to make the viewers feel as real as possible, and this makes watching films at cinemas an impossible-to-miss chance to get. > This is awkward and ungraceful

> In addition, it seems to be bringing up new topics — when it’s too late now to do so (not that they are developed anyway.) > Remarks about new technology are just plain off-topic
> This gives the impression that the author was out of ideas, and didn’t care to work hard at coming up with any

This paragraph misunderstands the meaning and purpose of a conclusion. – A conclusion in a tiny essay like this one is not a summary. – It’s really almost not a wrap-up
– It is merely a mechanism to exit the essay by “ending” it — as opposed to letting it sound like it “stopped.” – Sometimes an essay with no “ending” just sounds like it unexpectedly fell off the table, like a cat in a Funny Home Video YouTube – Funny Cat fall

– I think most of these essays don’t require anything at all after the last paragraph – But I sympathize with the students’ feeling that they have to turn in a dutiful five-paragraph essay – At least they should know that if they are writing articles for the college newspaper, it would be advisable to omit this “conclusion” completely – In the meantime, they should practice being creative within the structure demanded: One-sentence conclusions would be one creative way to do this. – If this were my essay, I would consider a last “paragraph” of one line: See you at the movies!

And that’s why I’m catching a movie tonight. You come too.
Writing about Film
The idea for this website came about because I noticed that many students in introductory film courses have difficulty both learning the subject matter of the course and how to write about it. While film analysis shares many of the same components of literary analysis, often students have no background in literary analysis or have opted to take a film course to fufill their English requirement because they were uncomfortable with literary analysis. Thus, an important component of this website will be a discussion of the basic operations of literary analysis. Although the site at this time contains only a discussion of theme and character, I envision the section on literary analysis growing with time.

For now, theme and character are two of the most important literary components when it comes to considering film. Students that do have a background in literary analysis often have a difficult time learning how to write papers specific to the discipline of film studies. This website includes an overview of how to write the basic types of film studies papers that students are often required to do in introductory film courses. Finally, many students in introductory film courses have limited experience with academic writing. This website offers four sections about general writing concerns to help students through common problem areas in expository writing. A SHORT ESSAY ABOUT MOVIE?

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Only movies that can teach us something about real life are worth watching.

Movies have played an essential role in recent year. To most movie buffs, watching movies is enjoyable and full of charm, entertaining people, touching people’s soul. However, there is a wide concern and much debate over what kind of films we should see. Some people believe that only movies that can teach us something about real life are worth watching. In my opinion, although certainly those movies are worth watching, it is, nonetheless, not the only type.

Admittedly, people really benefit from movies that teach us something about real life. Take The Shaw shank Redemption as an example. It told us that “fear can hold you prison. Hope can set you free”. Someone who is overwhelmed by a sense of despair may turn to be positive about his life after watching this movie, since he may be deeply moved by the plot that no matter how hard the life is, Andy struggled with his life. It encourages people to do their best whether it is good times or bad times. However, it is inappropriate to assert that those movies are the only ones worth watching.

Watching action films are also meaningful, for we can get visual impact. For instance, when we see the action scene of Ethan on speeding train fighting with Franz and Arnold pursuing his rival on horseback, we are shocked by the incredible action and are attracted by the cool movement. Moreover we are sometimes surprised of the advanced devices. Commonly, people are likely fascinated by the amazing scenes, enjoying all the excellent actions. Thus, I am convinced that action movies are worthy of watching.

Cartoon films are also worth watching, for they are a good way to relax. Whenever we see Garfield with fat but lovely face dancing, we feel happy together with Garfield as if we are in that untruly world; whenever we see a bunny have two extremely long ears and amazingly big teeth, we laugh a lot, so that we forget the heavy workload or schoolwork. Undoubtedly, animations are worth watching.

From the discussion above, we can safely draw the conclusion that while movies that can teach us something about real life worth watching, action films and animations are equally important to our lives and should be given adequate respect. I disagree with that statement, and agree with your essay.

I would also add that Comedy Films, even Romantic comedies with unrealistically happy endings, are also worthy of being watched. Though most of them arguably tell us something about the human condition (does any movie not? is a question I would like to raise), even if they do not, comedy films make us laugh. Laughter is a pure, human physical response to joy and has been known to supplement the viewer with numerous health benefits. Happiness, even brief happiness over stupid plots (I’m thinking a Will Ferrel movie here) is priceless.

Cartoons are absolutely capable of teaching us something about real life. Just because they are animation, does not mean they can’t have incredibly deep meanings. Look at Wall-E for example! It includes messages to take care of our planet and our bodies.And even the Disney princess films include messages of hope, overcoming adversity, and what it means to love.

So, I suppose I’ve complicated your argument there. It’s what I’ve been taught to do.


Essay Topics:


Sorry, but copying text is forbidden on this website. If you need this or any other sample, we can send it to you via email. Please, specify your valid email address

We can't stand spam as much as you do No, thanks. I prefer suffering on my own