Why Book XXIV is called the furious book of Iliad?
* Because the body of Hector was being kept and tortured by Achilles even it is already dead. Because of his anger he wants to revenge to Hector even though he cannot fight anymore. a.What infliction does anger do to a person?
* I makes the person do something awful without realizing, what will happen next. 5
a. Do you believe that sufferings unite people and prosperity divides them?
* Yes, because when people suffer they find each other as a companion who will help to overcome their problems. When they unite they can easily overcome their sufferings; and when someone has the prosperity they forgot to share their blessings to others because they don’t want to lose their wealth. So they tend to be selfish and it is the start of conflict of the people. 6.How does Achilles change over the course of the poem?
* When Priam talks to him to return the body of Hector. He also call twelve days stop to the war for the funeral of Hector. 7.What is the role of women in The Iliad? Does the poem contain any strong female characters, or do the acts and deeds of males dominate the work? * The Iliad certainly contains strong female characters. Athena and Hera rank among the most powerful forces in the book * In the mortal sphere, however, The Iliad has little to offer in the way of strong female figures. Very few women enter the story at all, and the women who do appear usually fall into one of two categories: property, such as Chryseis and Briseis, or interlocutors for male characters, such as Helen and Andromache. Homer uses Helen to reveal the cowardly underside of Paris’s character and to spotlight the Achaean commanders when she describes them to Priam on the Trojan ramparts. Andromache helps to make Hector a sympathetic character and provides the stimulus for his speech in Book 6 about the fate of Troy.
Thus, the significance of both women lies not in themselves but in the ways they illuminate the men around them. The two may seem to be important characters because of the high status they enjoy relative to other women, but compared to The Iliad’s warriors they are little more than props 8. What role does fate play in the emotional and psychological effect of The Iliad? Why does Homer make his characters aware of their impending dooms? * In deciding to make his characters knowledgeable about their own futures, he loses the effect of dramatic irony. But Homer doesn’t sacrifice drama; in fact, this technique renders the characters more compelling. They do not fall to ruin out of ignorance, but instead become tragic figures that go knowingly to their doom because they have no real choice. In the case of Hector and Achilles, their willing submission to a fate they recognize but cannot evade renders them not only tragic but emphatically heroic.
9. Is there a “heroic code” that guides the decisions of the characters in The Iliad? Discuss the values of the Homeric hero, paying particular attention to contrasting characters such as Achilles, Odysseus, Paris, and Hector. Does one character emerge as more heroic than the rest? Does one character emerge as less heroic? * One hero in the Iliad stands out in particular as the epitome of the ‘heroic code’. Achilles the one hero only who is fighting for pure heroics so to our minds he is a cruel, selfish and even hateful young man. but there is no doubt that he is a hero * In all of the other heroes heroic code is complicated or diminished by their characters in some way: in Odysseus it is amenable to practical and political considerations: in Paris it is set aside for a desire for pleasure: and in Hector it is complicated by the needs of others. 10. List at least five key learning that you get from the epic “ILIAD”
* Anger leads to unwanted fallout
* We cannot escape the fate
* Love and loyalty makes a two person strong
* Parents will do everything for the sake of their children
* Do not put your own desires above the good of the community.
* Fighting with those who cannot fight is disgrace
(i do not own some of the info here credit to the owner)
Courtney from Study Moose
Hi there, would you like to get such a paper? How about receiving a customized one? Check it out https://goo.gl/3TYhaX