Rewrite each of the thesis statements below, turning each into an effective thesis statement for a 2-3 page essay. You must think carefully about what would be an appropriate topic for an essay of this length – be careful not to choose a topic that is either too broad or too narrow.
1. Choosing a career is very difficult.
A career choice should be chosen based on skills required, interest in the jobs and location of workplace.
2. It is important to visit foreign countries.
A visit to foreign countries can enrich one’s knowledge, experience a different culture, and an opportunity to taste different cuisines.
3. In this essay I am going to talk about social problems in Germany. Germany has a high rate of social problems especially in literacy, ethic issues and teenage pregnancies.
4. Humans are inflicting more and more damage on the environment. Human activities such as deforestation, overpopulation and unplanned developments have brought huge impact to the environment.
5. The nuclear family is a thing of the past.
Emergence of postmodern family, high divorce rate and increase in materialism are undoubtedly the causes of banishment of nuclear family.
Complete the following thesis statements by adding the specific points, claims or areas of investigation that you think should feature in the essay.
The life expectancy of the average person is increasing because of …advancement in medical field, awareness to lead a healthy life and positive relationships with people around. Technology is changing our lives in three important areas: …transportation, communication and education. A teacher must have the following qualities: …patience, passion and diligency.
The purposes of this paper are to examine…the understanding of the students on the subject, the effectiveness of teaching and the improvement in thinking skills of the students. Owning an automobile is a necessity both…convenience and status. Poverty has numerous negative consequences for society, including…illiteracy, prostitution and crimes. The main difficulties affecting foreign students at university are…language barriers, different cultures and racial issues. Living together before marriage is becoming increasingly popular for three main reasons: …hesistancy to get married, choice of career over family and reluctancy to bear responsibilities.