Please type the answers to the questions you were assigned today using complete sentences and providing. Provide at least one (1) piece of direct textual evidence to support each response as well as any necessary explanation or analysis to support your answers. Make sure to answer every part to each question. Due on Monday, October 1, for a homework grade.
1. What is wrong with Betty Paris when the play opens? Describe her condition.
2. What is the true reason why Reverend Parris is upset over Betty’s condition? Explain.
3. What does Reverend Parris insinuate about Abigail’s loss of employment with the Proctor’s? How is his insinuation later proved to be true later in Act 1?
4. What conflict seems to exist between Mr. Putnam and Reverend Parris? Explain the nature of their dispute.
5. What does Betty reveal about Abigail and their activities with the other girls and Tituba the night before? Explain citing at least one incident that occurred on that evening in the woods.
6. How does Abigail feel about John Proctor? How does he feel about her? Explain.
7. What does John say he will do before he reaches for Abigail again? Does Miller provide any details in the scene that lead the reader to believe John may not live up to this pledge?
8. What is it that Betty cannot stand to hear? What conclusion does Mrs. Putnam draw from this evidence? Why?
9. How does Rebecca Nurse explain Betty’s condition and why are her opinions disregarded by some? What gives Rebecca special authority in this situation?
10. In what “field” is Reverend Hale considered to be an expert? Describe his previous experience in this field?
11. To what does Tituba confess? What does her confession reveal about her feelings towards Reverend Parris? Towards white people in general?
12. What do the events at the end of Act I foreshadow? Explain citing at least one incident in particular.