IB AP European History Summer Assignment Prerequisite for the AP European History class After doing research on Medieval Europe, address the following questions in essay format. Your research can come through books, the internet and Gateway’s databases (Gale) that you would find under Electronic Resources on our webpage. Cite where you’re getting your information from.
The response for each set of questions should be 300 words in length and should be hand written. Essays will be turned in on the first day of school. Late papers will not be accepted. Your grade will be based upon completion of the assignment, thorough answer to each question asked and your ability to follow directions. Your responses must be hand written in blue or black ink.
1. What were the causes and effects of the Black Death for Europe? Include in your discussion how the Black Death spread.
2. What were the causes and effects of the Hundred Years War for England and France? Include Joan of Arc in your discussion.
3. What were the causes and effects of the Great Schism on the Catholic Church and Europe? Include conciliarism in your discussion.
4. What were Dante’s, Petrarch’s, Boccaccio’s and Chaucer’s contributions to Medieval Europe’s literature? Include in your discussion their works and the effects on society.
5. How did the Holy Roman Empire contrast with the English and French monarchies in Medieval Europe? Include in your discussion Edward III, Charles V and the Great Council.
6. How was Italy fragmented in the 14th Century? Include in your discussion the republics, kingdom, duchy and Papal States that constituted Italy in the 1300s.