1. If you were the executive committee of a hotel, what kinds of things would you be doing to ensure the success of the hotel? Guest satisfaction. Collect feedbacks from e-mails, surveying, in order to picture all the customer’s wants, needs and demands. By this, we will have the idea of what they want to experience during their stay in our hotel. This will follow the development of each and every department.In our principles of marketing when I was in second year, our professor Dr. Josephine E. Tocloy taught us about job rotation, job enlargement and job enrichment.
This could be one of the solution for employees satisfaction. Also treating the hotel staff fair, giving them full training, listening and responding to their difficulties about work. In order to have all of this, to give quality and superior service to ensure the success of the hotel teamwork is the key. And most important of all leadership.For the subordinates or staff to participate, cooperate, and give their hearts in their work, the leaders should provide inspiring vision, make strategic directions that are understood by all and to instill values that guide subordinates.
2. Briefly define the purpose of a hotel. Why is it important to emphasize with the culture of guests? The main purpose of a hotel is to provide lodging accommodations. Culture can be an important consideration for the guest when checking in a hotel. Every cultures have different practices. You might want to consider some to take advantage of competitors that doesn’t have what the guest need of want that you have. Your competitors also provide lodging accommodations but do they also provide the services for the other cultures that you have?
3. List the main responsibilities of the front office manager. * Schedule her employees according to seasonality, business volume, available staff in hand. * Recruitment and discharge of staff in conjunction with the Rooms Division Manager * To develop and implement a Training Program including Computerization. * Develop Job Descriptions for each member of staff and keep them updated. * Monthly timetables for staff incorporating annual holidays. * Control payroll costs, ensuring sufficient coverage at any given time
* Ensure the Department is properly equipped with stationery etc. and that costs are kept to a minimum. * Aim to maximize Room Occupancy at all times and ensure a clear understanding of the Property Forecast for the future. * Aim to reach the Quality Standards laid down by the hotel. * To attend and hold departmental staff and individual meetings. * Ensure Debtors Accounts are kept within the required amount of days. * Setting objectives and ensuring they are fulfilled.
* Ensure punctuality and control absenteeism * Regularly check appearance and uniforms of the staff * Check that the attitude is always exceptional * Ensure service is always of the highest degree * Always be on the look out for new ideas and means of control * Ensure that Operating Equipment is always in perfect working condition * Handle any problems and guest complaints when necessary * Be constantly aware of the different rates and those of competitor hotels * Be aware of special promotions within the hotel
* Ensure the close communication with other department in the hotel * Create an atmosphere of high morale and a happy working relationship among the staff * Administer to all employees, the company Policies and Procedures pertaining to hotel regulations and standards Reference: hand-out
4. Discuss the importance of rooms division in hospitality industry. First, understanding hospitality is kind of hard for many people. So let’s just put it this way, what makes someone hospitable? Examples, people who know how to entertain, know how to make someone feel at home. This is the function of rooms division. Like the housekeeping department, you cannot call it “JUST” the cleaning department. Because what makes the guest feel comfortable is how this housekeeping manage the cleanliness of the place. Second, the front office. It is about the first impression of the guest. Having a good front office department manage by rooms division, it will give a pleasant environment for the guest that will result to a really definition of the importance of the rooms division in hospitality industry.
5. Give atleast five advantages of rooms division to your course and explain each. * It provides background of what I will face in my future jobs. * It provides explanation about the different strategies or techniques and how it might be connected to the business establishments that I might work for in the future. * It provides information on how to formulate strategies in order to be competitive.