Environment: we all refer to it through different definitions. Some call their vicinity and the air just around them, while others call the atmosphere of their country, the environment. In fact, our environment is everything that is around us: the living and the non-living things together. With a lot of unnatural factors happening around us in terms of human intervention with the environment, our natural environment is depleting day by day. The natural resources such as water, land, air, etc. are getting affected day by day. There are many factors that contribute in ruining our environment and depleting it on every basis.
Urbanization, increasing population, large scale deforestation, large number of vehicles on the road, and many more activities affect the environment and are making it more and more polluted. All these activities have disturbed the natural balance of our ecosystem and this imbalance falls heavily on human beings. The increased number of diseases, pollution and depletion of natural resources are all such aspects that cause a lot of harm to the living beings on this earth. It is very important that we all start taking our environment very seriously and do some bit at our end to reduce the dangers that our mother Earth has. By making some very simple activities of our daily life, we can reduce the burden on the environment and help it restore the proper balance in its ecosystem. We all can contribute a bit in saving our environment by:
1. Cutting the Energy Consumption: Buying and using fluorescent light bulbs, turning off lights and other electrical/electronic equipments when we leave a room, using cold water when possible, instead of hot or warm, insulating our homes so they can heat and cool more efficiently, etc. There are so many more ways to cut our personal energy consumption.
2. Using Sustainable Energy: Sustainable energy sources such as solar and wind can provide the energy we need without polluting the environment.
3. Water Conservation: We cannot live without water and we cannot save the environment without saving our water resource. We all must avoid wastages of water in our daily life.
4. Buying Energy-efficient & Eco-friendly Goods: We can save environment by buying Energy star label electrical & electronic goods for our day to day usages.
5. Reducing, Reusing & Recycling: We can each play a part in reducing the waste by buying fewer items and reducing our overall consumption. If we consume less, we use less energy and produce less waste.
6. Driving Less and Driving Smart: Easy way to reduce driving is by joining carpool, taking public transport, etc. thus reducing air pollutions.
7. Tree Plantation: One of the best ways to save environment is by planting trees as much as possible. Trees play a critical role in keeping our air clean, both by releasing oxygen into the air and by trapping carbon. The more trees we have, the better our air quality, and that’s why planting trees is an excellent step to take toward saving the environment.
8. Protesting Deforestation: Losing large forest for the purpose of urbanization or industry means that we’re losing millions of trees that would otherwise be cleaning the air for us. Protesting deforestation, both through activism and by refusing to buy products that are created at the expense of the world’s forests, can help slow and even halt deforestation.
9. Encouraging Others: Mahatma Gandhi had said, “You must be the change you wish to see in the world.” That’s certainly true when it comes in saving the environment, and each of us has an individual responsibility to make the changes and decisions that will benefit the natural world around us.
The environment won’t be saved by a handful of activists or even by a collection of powerful world leaders it will be saved by the collective action of mankind. Saving the environment is our prime focus today because by directly saving the environment, we indeed make small efforts in making our own lives healthy and happy and also the lives of our coming generations.