Roles ,Responsibilities, boundaries and Relationship of teachers with other professional. * Roles and Responsibilities of a teachers in life long sector. In my view ,followings should be the roles and responsibilities of a teacher of numeracy /math, Physics, and ICT at adults level.
1. One of the responsibilities of someone who is thinking about going into teaching in the lifelong learning sector would be to gain the skills, which are required for the subject , in which he/she intend to teach and make sure that the/she have relevant literacy, numeracy and ICT skills and preferably the qualifications.
2. A teacher must make communication in easy and simple words so that all the learners can understand easily. He should communicate by lowering his own level at the level of the learners. A teacher should be very clear and concise in his ideas .Words and language with dual meanings or ambiguous language should not be used. He/she should be Generous with advice and guidance. Teachers should adjust their teaching style to meet individual needs of students.
3. A teacher should enter into the classroom with full preparation and in depth knowledge of the subject .He/she should plan the sessions and prepare the teaching materials with great care. It should be the responsibility of a teacher to make sure that all handouts, lesson plans, presentations and any other writing is always spellchecked as any spelling mistakes will reflect on the learners. He/she should use the modern technology in preparation of this material. It should be attractive, creative and inspiring.
4. Sometimes, the behaviour of learners demonstrates that something is not going right. Therefore, I think ,I as a teacher must pay attention to any suspicious sings that could bother the learners. As teacher must be my responsibility to find out what is going on with the learners in the classroom
5. A teacher should be inspiring , patient and must not preach.
6. A teacher should attend and contribute team meetings, section meetings, tutor and area team meetings where applicable.
7. A teacher should work closely with colleagues in developing and improving the current curriculum offer for programs of teaching.
8. A teacher partake in marketing and recruitment activities including open evenings, school tasters and visits, student profiling for publications, interview, induction, awards evenings, result day and enrolment.
9. A teacher should identify students’ weaknesses and should be able to plan a strategy to assist them with it.
10. A teacher should encourage students to discuss the chosen topic/method not only with the teacher but also amongst themselves . Teachers should create effective and stimulating opportunities for learning through high quality teaching that enables the development and progression of all learners
11. A teacher should assess various learning styles within the group and identify the methods by which various learners can understand better. And method should be easy and updated.
12. A teacher must try to make sure that all students have equal rights and safe learning environment where they are able to build a trusting and honest relationship. Teachers should value all of their learners individually and equally .A teacher should be professional yet sympathetic to the learner’s needs. Teachers should give students an environment to learn on their own without putting them in a box and saying…you belong here because of your age, etc.
13. A teacher should be friendly with the learners, but he/she must remember that the learners should not be his/her friends.
14. The teacher needs to show respect toward the students so the students also respect the teacher
15. A teacher should complete attendance records and maintain the records of learners progress e.g. interviews, tutorials, assessments.
16. A teacher must not give false advice but a constructive and accurate one.
17. A facilitator must be organiser, analyst, administrator, media designer, tutor, team player, communicator, assessor, group leader and presenter.
18. A teacher should actively participate in continuous professional development appropriate for the development of programs and career of a teacher as a member of college staff.
19. And most of all, the perfect teacher, is the teacher that doesn’t think himself/herself perfect. * Boundaries of the teachers in life long sector.