Mary Roberts had been with the company three years when she was promoted to manager of the tax department which was part of the controller’s division.Within four months she became a supervisor of ten staff accountants to fill a vacancy.Her superior believed her to be most qualified individual to fill the position. Many senior employees resent her that she so young to fill the position and what made them more upsets was the fact tax managers did not discuss the promotion.
1.What can Mary Roberts do about the resentful senior employees? Mary should tackle this head on she should be direct and assertive about her expectation and when people are crossing the line that means she need to be clear with people when their behavior doesn’t meet her standards and she need to be willing To set and enforce consequence if it doesn’t change
2. Can higher management do anything to help Roberts make the transitions to greater responsibility? Yes, because they are the one who put her in that position of course they will help Mary interms of guiding it `.
3. Will her lack of technical knowledge hinder Mary’s managerial effectiveness? No , because lacking on some aspects on technical knowledge cant bankrupt or destroy a company as long she have a guts to face and accepts failures
4. Should Mary’s superior have discussed the promotion with the senior employees before announcing it? No ,because its not their obligation to discuss it with the employee interms on promoting someone because higher management chooses who deserve and employees should accept it. 5. Could some of the resentment be based on the fact that Mary Roberts was a young woman? No ,because as long she love the job there is no resentment. 6. Should she have turned down the promotion to gain more technical experience? No ,because she is qualifiedfor the position ,not because many higher managers believed in her its because she had s leadership ability and commitment to her work
7. Can a person turn down such promotion without hindering her career in the company?
Yes ,as long she is sincere to her decision not,because of the resentment of the senior personnel
CASE STUDY NO.2
Leo Harris one of your fire insurance company he is meticulous and anything coming out of his group is perfect.He always overworking,does not delegate authority and responsibility but rechecks in detail all the work turned out by his group. He keeps turning back to them careless and inaccurate work until it is perfect.
1. What are some of the reasons why people do not delegate authority and responsibility?
They are afraid that the work that they are working is a failure that they have to recheck and redo it again
2. What are Harris’ responsibilities as a supervisor?
As a suoervisor Harri’s have the day to day responsibilities. He should watch or observe the employee performance to ensure that all activity are completed in accordance with spefication and deadline
3. Which can he delegate?
Maintain supervisory control. Delegation is not the abandonment of tasks. As a leader, you are still ultimately responsible therefore time should be set aside to observe and meet with the subordinate for follow-through and review of the delegated areas. This follow-through will give you the opportunity to coach the subordinate in his new assigned tasks. Time spent with your subordinate will also provide you with the information to decide whether to intervene or to allow him to fail and learn from his mistakes. Be careful not to take a problem out of a subordinate’s hands and make a decision when he merely wants to discuss it with you. Let him take the wheeldo not make decisions that your subordinate could otherwise make for himself.
4. How should he go about delegating them?
Select the task to be delegated and match it to the proper personDelegation is not the assignment of routine tasks to anyone who happens to be available. There is a need to assess strengths, weaknesses and previous experience of all available personnel and then match them with tasks that will utilize their strengths and experience.
5. What are some of the leadership characteristics that Harris lacks?
When there’s a failure to communicate: When leaders are constantly flummoxed by those who don’t seem to get it, there exists both a leadership and communications problem. Show me a leader with poor communication skills and I’ll show you someone who will be short-lived in their position. Great leaders can communicate effectively across mediums, constituencies, and environments. They are active listeners, fluid thinkers, and know when to dial it up, down, or off. It’s all about them: If a leader doesn’t understand the concept of “service above self” they will not engender the trust, confidence, and loyalty of those they lead. Any leader is only as good as his or her team’s desire to be led by them. An over abundance of ego, pride, and arrogance are not positive leadership traits. Real leaders take the blame and give the credit – not the other way around. Long story short; if a leader receives a vote of non-confidence from their subordinates
6. How can you go about developing them in him?
Is to go out with your comfort zone try to communicate.
CASE STUDY NO.3
The general manager has hired the services of a personnel administrator but has purposely not defined the newcomer’s role in the organization .As a line supervisor, have become involved in several arguments with this personnel administrator. You have mentioned this usurping of authority to your boss, the general manager, and have asked him to define the personnel job. The boss has answered that he is allowing
1. Discuss the above situation from a line point of view Specific job description should e disclosed to the line supervisor, Important since an administrator is hired there should already be a work that needs to be filled by the one hired. Even if the person is asked to find its own niche we still need to determine the role he applied and just modify it ,If additional work needs to be move.
2. Discuss the situation from a personnel administrator’s point of view. Still trying to identify what were the jobs that needs to be fulfilled by the administrator and his discovering what his boundaries are.
3. Develop a practical working relationship based on the principles of good organization. Know your position and modify what is still needs to be done based on the description trying to step out of the usual job description may have an impact on the role that needs to be performed by the rest of the team which is disorganization 4. It is desirable to allow the personnel administrator to find his own niche in the organization? Yes , as long as he knows what his original role and just modify if the business needs
Courtney from Study Moose
Hi there, would you like to get such a paper? How about receiving a customized one? Check it out https://goo.gl/3TYhaX