1. Intro: How many people believe that terminating a pregnancy is a horrible thing, that under no circumstance an abortion should be performed? And how many people believe that interrupting a pregnancy under certain circumstances is okay, certain circumstances including: rape, unplanned pregnancy, and medical reasons?
“Quote by Hillary Rodham Clinton on being pro-choice is not being pro-abortion.”
2. Thesis: I would like to give you a little more information tonight on a topic that is very disputed now in day. And I would like to change the way you think about the term ”pro-choice”
3. Audience: Women just like men have rights, and not being able to decide what you would like to do with your body takes away from those rights.
4. Preview: I. discuss the origin of abortion and how it was performed in ancient culture
II. describe the methods of abortion today. II. Who aborts and the reasons why?
I. History of abortion
A. in and article named “when did abortion begin” on About.com 1. The practice of abortion can be dated all the way back to 1550 BCE and it is first seen in Ancient Egyptian Culture. However we also see it in Ancient Persian culture, ancient Roman and ancient Greek. And since then the topic of abortion has caused a controversy . people pick pro-life or pro-choice. They used plants to terminate a pregnancy in the past.
II. Terminating a pregnancy today can be performed with surgically, with certain plants, and with pills. A. The University of Washington published an article Facts for Women¨termination of pregnancy” it describes the different ways to perform an abortion. 1. Medical Abortions: This is performed by taking a pill or receiving an injection.
2. Surgical Abortion:
A way to terminate pregnancy surgically. a. For both you receive counseling, you sign a consent form, give medical history, have a physical exam including an ultrasound, and have lab tests.
III. Reasons to why? And who aborts.
A. a website named Action Life, wrote an article named “The real reasons women choose abortion” Gudrun Schultz claims that 92% of women choose abortion as an alternative because of social or other factors. Those “other factors”
25% Not ready for a(nother) child/timing is wrong
23% Can’t afford a baby now
19% Have completed my childbearing/have other people depending on me/children are grown 8% Don’t want to be a single mother/am having relationship problems 7% Don’t feel mature enough to raise a(nother) child/feel too young 4%
Would interfere with education or career plans
4% Physical problem with my health
3% Possible problems affecting the health of the fetus poverty level. Why bring a child to suffer.
If you cannot provide for your own child why have it?
5. Conclusion: I’m not encouraging you to get an abortion. I am just trying to get you to view “pro-choice” differently, Laws against abortion don’t stop it, they simply make abortion Less safe. If a person is not ready to be a parent, or cannot afford another child, they should not be forced to have it.