You will choose synonyms to replace the bold word in the sentences provided below.
You will then write an explanation to explain why you chose these particular synonyms.
However, in a year that saw the social networking juggernaut Facebook turn a profit for only the first time, it was not clear whether Twitter could achieve financial independence from its venture capital investors.
Synonym = powerhouse
Explanation: I chose the word powerhouse, because the original word, “juggernaut” indicates that that Facebook forcefully took over the social networking industry. I wanted to use a word to indicate powerful success.
1. Having demonstrated its versatility as a high-tech newswire, Twitter drew the attention of those who would prefer to see certain information suppressed.
I would choose the word skillfulness, because versatility means you are skilled to do many things at once and are good at it.
2. Millions of users attempted to log into Twitter only to be greeted by the service’s iconic “fail whale,” the image of a cartoon whale being hoisted into the air by a flock of birds, signaling a site outage.
Ideal; because it is an image from the service. When you are not a member.
3. Following the earthquake that struck Haiti in January 2010, Twitter reaffirmed its role as a powerful tool for the dissemination of information.
I chose the word spread, because dissemination means to spread widely. Stating that Twitter is a powerful choice of media to spread information around the world.
4. Additionally, it became an effective fund-raising platform, when the Red Cross launched a mobile giving campaign that surpassed all expectations. Outcome; because they are talking about how the fundraiser was effective. Meaning an outcome.
5. High-profile users tweeted about the drive to help victims of the earthquake, and many of their followers tweeted and re-tweeted the message, helping the Red Cross raise more than $8 million through text messaging within 48 hours of the quake. Fundraiser; because they are talking about a way to help victims of the earthquake.