* (mostly) male oriented, brother abandoning brother during illness, during the post-plague years people aspired to be better and blamed the Jews (scapegoats). * During the Hundred Years’ War England vs. France, Henry IV married daughter of France king: ensured that all their heirs would receive French throne, Joan of Arc (courageous peasant girl and co-commander of French army) inspired attacks on the English. * During the Aftermath, social order becomes disrupted, wealthy lords and urban residents met up for representative assemblies, the French (party poopers) didn’t have a representative assembly claiming it was expensive and inconvenient; instead, they had provincial assemblies., in both England and France the war promoted nationalism.
Great council 3 objectives was to end schism, reform church, and wipe out heresy, people slowly shied away from the clergy and they formed confraternities. (14th- 15th century), revolution of poor against rich—Jacquerie. * Women married at late age for self sufficiency and were ought to keep their husbands love as much as they can, (later term) prostitution. People of different ethnic backgrounds lived side by side.
Political- monarchy, aristocracy, The church
* During the Black Death, people gave donations because they thought the plague was God’s punishment. * The hundred year war- war to the succession to French throne, the English was convinced that the war was waged to secure King Edward the crown, royal propaganda- led to nationalism (Both sides), stimulated the development of English Parliament, representative assemblies flourished, by signing the law Edward III acknowledged that the king of England couldn’t tax without Parliament’s consent, nationalism, conciliarists, hierarchy.
* During the Black Death, Allegorical Figures passed judgment, thought of it was God’s punishment so started giving more donations to church, flagellants. * During the hundred years’ war, remove heretics and dissolve heresy, consolation of religions. * Aftermath, direct approaches to God, the schism weakened religious faith, (Occam) the church and state should separate, (Wyclif) church be stripped of its property—Lollards, confraternities, religion an inner experience, mystics.
* During the Black Death, popes thought fire protected from plague. * During the hundred years’ war, Joan of Arc’s acts inspired many attacks for the French, the English because they created longbows. * During the aftermath, (Occam) the church and state should separate, (Wyclif) church be stripped of its property—Lollard, confraternities, religion an inner experience, mystics.
* During the Black Death, popes created ring of fire (fleas), draw blood to rid body of poisons, cryptograms. * During the hundred years’ war, the English created the longbow, suits of armor, and stronger castles. * During the Aftermath, everyday tools to portray ideas (Decorative Spoon).
* During the black death, climate was warm (until 1300s), weather change- reduction of sheep, no food = no people, land alienation, population decline, death caused by famine and disease, scapegoats (Jews and nobility), infection of English sheep, weavers couldn’t work (Flemish), transportation of disease (ships), architecture created was dark and tight, poor sanitation, shattering of the medieval “perfect” world. * During the aftermath ,the French rural economy ruined and in shambles, spread of dissatisfaction, England was wreaked with havoc and financial loss, (in both countries) fortunes become squandered, nationalism, peasants revolt against clergy and nobles.