Conduct an interview with someone who has a career or job position that is different from your own. Identify the duties associated with his or her position, as well as any skills and abilities necessary for the position. Use the information gathered in the interview, as well as the Week 3 readings, to complete the following worksheet. Answer each question in paragraph format.
1. What are the duties and job responsibilities associated with the position held by the individual you interviewed? The responsibilities for a Project Manager:
Undertake management responsibilities for some or all aspects of the design and construction of new construction or refurbishment projects Obtain all necessary entitlements
Plans and specifications. Tracking, and distribution.
Plan check and permits. Tracking timelines, and pulling permits Plan review and bidding
Office preparation for the start of construction
Jobsite preparation for the start of construction
Subcontracting. Prepare contracts, changes and additions to contractual agreements with consultants, suppliers, and subcontractors. Construction budgets and timelines
Prepare and submit budget estimates, progress, and cost tracking reports. Implement quality control programs
Take actions to deal with the results of delays, bad weather, or emergencies at construction site. Jobsite demobilization.
Final budget reconciliation and close out with accounting.
After action preparations.
Coordination with Property Management, either GLB or building owner.
2. What are the types of knowledge, skills, and abilities that are needed to
successfully accomplish the job responsibilities?
1. Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management, or related field; 2. Professional license/registration/certification preferred; 3. Building and Construction knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction of a building or other structures 4. Experience in negotiating and writing contracts for design professionals and contractors 5. Demonstrated knowledge of applicable laws and regulations governing environmental and construction permitting; and 6. Demonstrated knowledge of OSHPD (in California) procedures and requirements for assignments to projects under OSHPD jurisdiction. 7. Outstanding written and verbal communications skills including the ability to establish goals, set clear expectations, prioritize activities, and follow through to project completion. 8. Strong attention to detail. 9. Ability to weigh business and technical requirements to produce project plans and estimates. 10. Strong organization, time management, and multitasking skills. 11. Strong understanding of all aspects of corporate software development; strong client, server, database, and reporting skills.
3. Does the position require any physical tasks? If so, describe the physical tasks and state their frequency. Is there any additional information about the job that would be beneficial to include in the job description?
The overall nature of the position is deskbound in nature requiring little physical effort and occasional light physical exertion. There is occasional exposure to environmental conditions such as heat, cold, temperature changes, industrial noise, and construction hazards usually accompanied by business travel and visits to construction sites. The constant physical demands of the position are talking and hearing. The frequent physical demands of the position are sitting, standing and walking. The occasional physical demands of the position are carrying, pushing, pulling, handling, repetitive motions, and eye/hand/foot coordination
Compose a 350- to 500-word job description based on the data acquired in your interview.
The Project Manager position will be responsible for leading the design build team in the process of design, permitting and construction of all construction projects assigned as your responsibility. This position will be responsible for planning, directing, coordinating, and or budgeting activities concerned with the construction of facilities. This position will also participate in the conceptual development of a construction project and oversee its organization, scheduling, entitlement and implementation. This position requires strategic and analytical thinking skills as well as attention to detail.
1. What are three recruiting strategies that could be used to recruit for this job position?
a. Internal through promotion or transfer
c. News paper
2. In 350- to 500-words, compare and contrast the recruiting strategies you have chosen. Which recruiting strategy would you use to recruit for this position? Why?
Obtaining and retaining high-quality employees is critical to an organization’s success. As the employment market becomes increasingly competitive and the available skills grow more diverse, companies need to be more selective in their recruiting choices. I selected three options to compare and contrast:
Internal recruiting: This recruiting process can be favorable as the employee will have history of the organization and the training can be minimal. It also builds morale within the organization as you are giving employees the opportunity for career growth. Recruiting internally can also be less costly than going outside to recruit. The downfall for recruiting internally is that is does not always produce the number or quality of personnel needed. It can also be negative since you are not receiving new outside ideas. Another downfall is that you may cause rivalries between employees.
External sources such as the internet and newspaper will provide greater exposure. Advertising in public sources provides the opportunity for more qualified people to apply for the position. The downfall is that it can be more expensive to advertise.
For the project manager position, I would advertise the position in external sources such as the internet. Because it is such an important role and has so many responsibilities, you want to get as much exposure to insure a qualified individual.
Courtney from Study Moose
Hi there, would you like to get such a paper? How about receiving a customized one? Check it out https://goo.gl/3TYhaX