1. Identify the four themes of human services.
According to the reading assignment Chapter One of Introduction to Human Services, the four themes are: 1. Concerns with problems in living- This is when people unable meet their own basic needs. 2. The increase in problems in our modern world – This include having a growing number of people feeling estranged from their communities or not having the support needed from friends or family when there a joyous times and times of sorrow. 3. The need for self-sufficiency – This is where to rely on others to meet their basic needs, it is destroying to their self-esteem. This creates a makes them feel they are incapable of doing for themselves. 4. The goals of social care, social control, and rehabilitation – social care is when a person cannot provide for themselves, social control when a person is able to care for themselves but not well enough or according to the law. Rehabilitation this is when a person is not currently able to care for him or herself as if they were prior, possibly because of an accident or crisis. It can be short term or long term but the hope it to get the individual to be able to care for his or herself. (Woodside & McClam, 2012)
2. Identify professional disciplines that influence human services. The disciplines listed in the reading assignment Chapter One of Introduction to Human Services 1. Sociology – helps human service professionals understand the foundations of life that affect our existence, such as a family’s organization, the roles that each family member places, race, gender, even poverty. 2. Psychology – is your behaviors are looked very closely along with how your mind works. They look at how you react to certain things and why you react the way you do. 3. Anthropology – studies the cultural, physical, and social development of humans and the variation in their customs and beliefs. (Woodside & McClam, 2012)
3. How have societal viewpoints concerning mental illness or health influenced human services over the past three centuries? I feel that over the last three centuries societal viewpoint has changed how things are categorized which leads to how we deal with things. In the past some of the categories were, child, abled-person, and not abled-person. This does not help when it comes to helping people with different illnesses or the poor. I feel that if we have such a wide categorizing system then there is less help. When we break things down then it gives you the opportunity to provide better help.
4. How have societal viewpoints concerning child welfare influenced human services over the past three centuries? I feel that over the last three centuries societal viewpoint has changed child welfare for the better. Our children now get more help than what they did in the past. Now children are treated equal amongst society than before. We now have people in place that can help a child and our child know they will get help. Now children are not just dismissed when they are having problems.
5. How have societal viewpoints concerning incarceration and probation influenced human services over the past three centuries? I feel that now incarceration and probation is becoming something that is look at closely in the past I felt that people got away with things because they “knew someone.” Now we have employed people to make sure they are following the rules of society and this helps our communities out. We now have a better handle on things than we did in the past.
6. Explain how political and legislative changes have affected client care. Now that we do not treat the mentally ill as if they have a demon inside then and we have the politician and legislature to set law to help then we are a lot better off. If it was not for laws being, pass like the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and time things would not be where they are today.
Woodside, M., & McClam, T. (2012). An Introduction to Human Services, Seventh Edition. Cengage Learning.
Courtney from Study Moose
Hi there, would you like to get such a paper? How about receiving a customized one? Check it out https://goo.gl/3TYhaX