1. What is a comparison microscope? What are the advantages of this microscope? A comparison microscope combines two microscopes into one module. This helps the viewer see what is under each of the lenses at the same time.
2. What are the three substances that generally make up paint? Describe each part. The three substances that make up paint are pigments, binders, and a solvent. Pigments includes both organic and nonorganic compounds and materials that are added to the other two substances to create a certain color. Binders provide support for the pigment, and the solvent dissolves these substances into liquid form.
3. What are polymers? Polymers are substances made up of atoms with the atoms arranged in repeating patterns.
4. What is a scanning electron microscope? What are its advantages? A scanning electron microscope shoots a beam of electrons at the item and records the electron emissions that occur. These microscopes can achieve high rates of magnification and has a better depth of field while magnifying than compound microscopes.
5. What is the PDQ? What is it used for? The PDQ, or Paint Data Query, is the computerized database of automobile paint. This is used to narrow down the make and model of a specific paint chip.
Critical Thinking Questions
1. What are some of the challenges for forensic scientists in dealing with fiber evidence? Some of the challenges for forensic scientists in dealing with fiber evidence are that they have to look at every small piece of evidence.
2. What does it mean if a paint sample “matches” a known sample from a vehicle? Does this indicate the same source? Why or why not? If a paint sample matches a known sample then that means the same make and model of a car (mostly likely the same car) has been involved in two cases. This does indicate the same source because there is a rare possibility that it is a different source.
3. Why are microscopes important to forensic scientists? Microscopes are important to forensic scientists because it allows the forensic scientist to better see the minute details on a piece of evidence.
Courtney from Study Moose
Hi there, would you like to get such a paper? How about receiving a customized one? Check it out https://goo.gl/3TYhaX