1. Which of the following is a planning technique? (Points : 5) Drafting
2. Analytical reading will be hindered by _____. (Points : 5) Annotating a text in the margins.
Previewing a text by skimming.
Reading only the abstract of a text.
Discussing a text with a classmate.
3. Which of the following is a revising technique? (Points : 5) Editing for grammar
Checking for spelling
4. In a _____ essay, all supporting details clearly relate to the thesis. (Points : 5) Transitional
5. Which statement is true for evaluating visual material? (Points : 5) Pictorial icons are fixed and absolute.
In pictures, meaning is fluid and variable.
Realistic pictures least resemble their real-life counterparts. Abstract drawings are more detailed and have more shading. 6. Which of the following sentences is correct? (Points : 5) Enrique likes fishing; Rosa prefers swimming.
Enrique likes fishing but, Rosa prefers swimming.
Enrique likes fishing Rosa prefers swimming.
Enrique likes fishing, Rosa prefers swimming.
7. Which of the following is a higher order concern? (Points : 5) Editing for mechanics
Editing for spelling
Editing for punctuation
Editing for support
8. Which of the following sentences is incorrect? (Points : 5) The girls’ bicycles are in the yard.
The girl’s bicycles are in the yard.
I asked my boss for three month’s pay.
I asked my boss for three months’ pay.
9. Which of the following sentences is correct? (Points : 5) For the potluck please bring: silverware, beverages, and a dish to share. Please bring the following items to the potluck: silverware, beverages, and a dish to share. Silverware, beverages, and a dish to share: are items you need to bring to the potluck. Please bring: silverware, beverages, and a dish to share to the potluck. 10. Using words or ideas in a paper without properly crediting the source is ___. (Points : 5) Plagiarizing
All of the above
11. Which of the following should be documented in a research essay? (Points : 5) Paraphrase
All of the above
12. All of the following are acceptable sources for an academic research paper except for ______. (Points : 5) Wikipedia
13. Which of the following is the best strategy for linking evidence to your ideas in an argument? (Points : 5) Presenting one side of an argument
Including information from a website
Including expert testimony
Including logical fallacies
14. When writing an argumentative essay, which of the following should be
avoided? (Points : 5) Presenting only one side of the argument
Presenting opposing viewpoints
Rebutting differing viewpoints
Pointing out common ground
15. In order to create credibility in analytical writing, which one of the following writing strategies might a writer use? (Points : 5) Extended analogy
16. Academic writing often involves crafting a ________, which can be defined as taking a viewpoint and attempting to prove its validity. (Points : 5) Narrative
17. When analyzing a text from the perspective of gender, you should consider_____. (Points : 5) The writer’s history as a journalist
The race of the writer
The religious context of the text
The image of maleness or femaleness the writer portrays 18. The concept of “Utopia” has its roots in a book called Utopia by _______. (Points : 5) Alvin Toffler
Sir/Saint Thomas Moore
19. A comparison that makes an unfamiliar subject more familiar to clarify a point is called a(an) _____. (Points : 5) Axium
20. When analyzing art and literature, “new wave” refers to _______. (Points : 5) War and peace Family memoirs Generational divides Love and hate