1. List the various ways that DIAD (Delivery Information Acquisition Device) improves customer service. DIAD has improved customer service by:
Real time tracking and data tracking – The ability to track customer package on the spot using Technology (GPRS/CDMA) Fast delivery and on time
Accountability and Reliable
– Efficient tracking
Efficient and Reduction of data entry error
Availability information and immediate Response – Scanning the package and all information related to the package is readily available.
2. Write out the steps a package takes from pick-up by a UPS driver to delivery including the role of DIAD, the USP Data Center, and the UPS Package Center.
The process begins with the information of the package and its destination is add by the customer. The information of the package is sent to the main database system of UPS, the system automatically creates a “smart label” which is then attached to the package for shipment. Package is picked up by a driver who has a DIAD which shows the place of delivery and new pick-ups. Once package is picked up and delivered by the driver, the package is scanned to show all the information that was sent up to the main data center. Customers will be able to track their package with the information provided on their package. The system concurrently gets updated whenever a package is scanned through the center. When all the information is updated in the system, the final destination center has all the information on hand available, for routing purposes and planning ahead of time
3. What role does wireless communication play in the UPS system? List the different types of wireless connectivity and describe their functions? Wireless communication allow for greater mobility, flexibility and real time data in the package and delivery operation of UPS. With different types of wireless connectivity and technology USP provides a more efficient service with less cost. Each DIAD feature a built in:
GPRS (General Packet Radio Services) and CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) radio – an acoustical modem to facilitate dial-up access if necessary, and 802.11b wireless local area network connectivity to enable transmission in a UPS center.
Bluetooth – wireless personal area network and an infrared (IRDA) port to communicate with peripheral devices and customer PCs/printers.
GPS – Global Positioning Satellites that will allow drivers to easily verify customer locations for pickup or delivery of packages, particularly outside the United States.
WiFi support – enables larger and richer content downloads such as training videos
4. Why don’t UPS use much more powerful and smaller smartphones like the iPhones or Android? UPS has a robust technology research and development department that helps support its strategic operating goals. DIAD is designed for this special application to collect and processing package and delivery data. Whilst iPhone or Androids are open source software that are not designed for such a robust technology.
5. Why is the DIAD V better than DIAD IV?
New Hardware – The DIAD V has a 1GB flash memory with speedy 1 GHz processor (runs more powerful apps which will integrate via the wireless connection) whilst DIAV IV has 128 megabytes and slow processor. DIAD V will provide Roaming – wireless performance and can switch automatically to the strongest carrier signal. Navigation – GPS so that UPS knows where the driver is at any time. Real time navigation The colour screen also enables UPS to
colour-code messages transmitted to a driver’s DIAD. Urgent customer pick-up messages, for example, can be color-coded to alert the driver. A colour auto – focus, flash camera could be used to enhanced proof – of – delivery and to help resolve customer claims. An aggressive multi-dimensional; imager to decode many symbolises, including UPS linear barcode, without requiring the driver to rotate the DIAD to capture the barcode.
6. How does UPS’s investment in IT help it achieve the strategic business objectives described in Chapter 1? UPS’s investments in IT help achieve the strategic business objectives by: Operational excellence – UPS continuously seeking to improve their efficiency in order to achieve higher profitability. Improve performance and increase revenue as a business solution. Information system and technology is the most important tool for managers to achieve higher level of efficiency and productivity in the business operations. New products, services, and business models – Diversification and culture change, that USP made an upgrade from DIAD IV to V in order to meet customer satisfaction. Making their service more upgrade, technology, efficient and more real time service.
Competitive advantage – Focusing on continual improvement, high level of efficiency and quality and optimizing customer values and eliminating. Responding to customer with real time data or information. Survival – Survival – Continue to make a profit and market campaigns to meet any shortfalls Financial Security where they will be able to calculate and monitor the marketing efficiency and effectiveness, while meeting the aims of stakeholder and continue to keep the good image.