CASE FORMATTING RULES AND CONTENT GUIDELINES/ CASE QUESTIONS FOR BONNY DOON VINEYARD
I Formatting rules
The case write-ups should be typed and double spaced, 12 point font (Times New Roman), normal margins with a maximum length of 5 pages which you can split between text, numerical tabulations or appendices as you see fit. You should have a cover page with your names, student numbers, title and course section. You can add the table of contents page and 1 page with the appendices. I expect that it will take you about 3.5 pages to do the analysis (points 1to 4) and about 1.5 pages for points 4 to 7.
II Content guidelines
The structure of your report should follow the following template:
1. Brief statement of current position/outlook of Bonny Doon (about 1 paragraph)
2. Firm Analysis
(This part should include:
– business model, business-level strategy and position,
– value chain model analysis
– analysis of the firm’s resources, capabilities and competitive advantage,
– organizational analysis (management, ownership)
– profitability analysis (please make sure to include relevant numbers).
3. Industry analysis
This part should include:
– basic descriptors (size of the market, key players, demand)
– Porter’s 5 forces model,
– life-cycle model,
– key success factors (what it takes to be successful in this industry)
– economics of the industry (profitability, costs and revenues) – industry’s
overall attractiveness (including the past performance and projected growth)
4. Strategic problem/issue identification and definition
5. Generation of alternatives
7. Brief implementation schedule
III Case Guidelines/major points for “Bonny Doon Vineyards“
Reference point: You are writing a report as consultants to Bonny Doon. Your report will be presented to their senior management. Here are the main points for your report. 1Describe the current environment for Bonny Doon, including competition and the market trends in the California wine industry at the time of the case. 2.Outline the main features of Bonny Doon’s business strategy. What are its benefits and drawbacks in the light of current situation? Why has Bonny Doon been so successful? 3What are the main challenges and strategic problems facing Bonny Doon?
4.In light of the problems that Bonny Doon is facing, what would you recommend to their management?
You should attach a statement to this write-up, which should be signed by all members of the group, indicating that this is entirely the group’s own work, is based exclusively on the information provided in the case, and that each group member contributed their best.