As the living quality has been continuously improved in recent years,together with the widely spread sense of keeping fit,fitness clubs are becoming more and more popular in Australia.Among all those fitness companies,the Anytime Fitness and the Jetts are the most rapidly growing ones ,which both offer the 24/7 access to all clubs they own. I’ll compare the model of these two company using SWOT analysis.
According to the Anytime Fitness AU(2014),Anytime Fitness is a fitness club which started in Minneapolis,USA in 2000.The 2115 clubs around the world make it the biggest fitness chain in the world.In year 2008,Justin McDonell and Jacinta McDonell-Jimenez open the first Anytime Fitness club in Australia.The next 6 years witnesses the rapid expansion of the Anytime Fitness with 344 clubs.
On the contrary,as can be seen from the website Jetts Fitness Australia(2014),the Jetts is a local fitness company which started in 2007 in the Gold Coast by the couple Brendon and Cristy Levenson.Soon,the expansion to the whole country and the New Zealand makes the Jetts a fitness company with over 200 clubs.
1. Leadership in the global market gives the company the advantage of its brand name and supply chain(Anytime Fitness AU 2014) .
2. Having the most clubs in Australia allows most Australians to come to the club within 10 minutes(Anytime Fitness AU 2014) .
3. Investment from the US capital market is available.For example,the capital injection from the Roark Capital Group would help expediting the growth(Roark Capital Group 2014).Also, the company had partnerships with THL Credit Opportunities,L.P. and the Partnership Capital Growth so as to achieve a recapitalization in 2010 (PCGA.Transaction Announcement 2010).
4. An online medical center called Anytime Health is offered ,which can bring health information to the customers.
5. The business model which is convenient for franchiser as flexibility and profit can be got at the same time helps the rapid expansion of the company (Anytime Fitness AU 2014) .The 2014 Top Franchise from Entrepreneur’s Franchise 500 List(2014) claims that the company gets NO.1 in this list.
6. The company has comparatively low price with acceptable environment and 24/7 access .
7. Private restroom and bath room can give people more privacy. 1. Low culture consistence do the clubs have, due to the distance from the US.For example,the price of each club in Australia is different(Anytime Fitness AU 2014) .
2. Lock-in contract makes customs uncomfortable.
3. Bad fame of one club such as low quality of customer service and cleanliness may influence other clubs although the franchisers are different.
4. No staff during nights may cause security concern (Anytime Fitness AU 2014) .
5. Facilities are lacked during peak times.
1. The 12 million overweight people in Australia according to the Overweigh and Obesity(AIHW)(2013)are the potential customs.
2. More sessions and classes can be offered.
3. Introduce new facilities to the clubs may provide differentiation from the Jetts.
4.The company should promote more about the facilities and services.
1. Competitions from Jetts and other fitness clubs are growing.
1. The Jetts has enough clubs to serve most Australians.Meanwhile, with the projected 250 clubs,80% of Australian can go to Jetts within 8 minutes(Sunshine Coast Daily 2010).
2. It’s a domestic fitness company,which means that it can provide a suitable environment for local people. Also,the staff can get more education and feedbacks from the headquarter so the company culture will be consistent.
3. No contract rule which gives the customers freedom of choice makes them comfortable(Sunshine Coast Daily 2010).
4.The price is quite low as people only need to pay $11.95 per week and are free to stop at any stage.But people can still get 24/7 access and ‘clean, convenient workout facilities providing the equipment that members use on a regular basis’(Tilbury, Alex 2011).
5.The Jetts has an experienced team to help new clubs get started (Davies,Adam 2012).It helps the growing of the Jetts together with the efficient franchiser system.
6.The Jessts has a good fame of high customer satisfactory.It got No.1 in the Canstar Blue Most Satisfied Customer Award in Australia in 2012 and 2013 (Jetts Fitness Australia 2014).
1.The clubs lack advanced equipments due to the low price strategy.
2. No staff during nights may cause security concern(Jetts Fitness Australia 2014).
3.Facilities are lacked during peak times.
1. The percentage of overweight people in Australia is high.
2. The oversea market is still waiting to be exploited.
3.The Jetts should promote more about its low price and simplicity.
1.Competitions from Anytime Fitness and other fitness clubs are growing.
In summary,although the Anytime Fitness has advantages in many aspects,I still consider the model of the Jetts is better as it makes customers feel satisfied,which is much more important than other elements in this customer-oriented age.
Anytime Australia Pty Ltd 2014,Anytime Fitness AU,viewed 19 March 2014,
Jetts 2014,Jetts Fitness Australia,Brisbane,viewed 18 March 2014,
Roark Capital Group 2014,Anytime Fitness Receives Investment from Roark Capital Group,media release,3 March ,viewed 22 March 2014,
PCGA.Transaction Announcement 2010,Partnership Capital Growth,viewed 22 March 2014,
2014 Top Franchise from Entrepreneur’s Franchise 500 List 2014,Entrepreneur Media, Inc.,viewed 22 March 2014,
Overweigh and Obesity(AIHW) 2013,Australia Institution of Health and Welfare,viewed 22 March 2014,
Sunshine Coast Daily 2010,‘Jetts Fitness blasting off: movers & shakersBrendon Levenson’,Sunshine Coast Daily ,5 October 2010,viewed 22 March 2014
Davies,Adam 2012,‘Jetts on a winner with new club’,The Chronicle,27 May,viewed 22 March 2014
Tilbury, Alex 2011,‘Jetts wins fight with the giants’，The Courier – Mail，4 June，viewed 22 March 2014,