For this task I am required to identify my chosen organisations objectives and aims. My chosen organisation is The Body Shop, its objectives and aims are diverse compared to other businesses that are on the markets for expansion and profitability. In this task I am going to consider the most common objectives and aims, in doing so, I will compare its objectives and aims to other businesses.
Business objectives are the stated, measurable targets of how to achieve business aims. For instance, we want to achieve sales of £10 million in European markets in 2005. Objective/s have to be S.M.A.R.T., Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Time specific.
Business aims is where the business wants to go in the future, its goals. It is a statement of purpose, e.g. we want to grow the business into Europe.
Some aims are ‘social’ rather than commercial. The Body Shop aims ‘to dedicate our business to the pursuit of social and environmental change’. This is an aim that is for the good of society rather than a commercial one.
Most businesses aim to:
– Grow/Expand – this is done by increasing the size of the business, perhaps by winning over the costumers or opening new branches.
– Profit – Many businesses try to make as much of profit as possible by providing their service or their product.
There are many more aims of businesses but they are not relevant as The Body Shops aims differ from normal businesses. Also public sector businesses have different aims and objectives.
The Body Shops aims and objectives differ to other major stores such as Tesco’s or Boots, its objectives are ethically and socially responsible, whereas, Tesco is on the market to expand and make profits. Even though The Body Shop would like to make profits because without profits it will not be able to survive for long, its main objectives and aims is to care about social issues, health, less developing countries and fair trade. The Body Shop, therefore, is unique.
Compared to other businesses The Body Shop is different when looked at its aims and objectives, its not about profitability or expansion, its about helping one another and issues such as fair trade, the following is The Body Shops aims and how they are tackled:
– Improving the workforce conditions – The Body Shop aims to pay its workforces fairly and provide good working conditions.
– Against animal testing – The Body Shop does not test any of their products on animals compared to other businesses who do, and it aims to carry on in doing so.
– Support community trade – This is also known as Fair Trade, The Body Shop was one of the fist to take this up and pay its suppliers fairly, this was its aim when the business started and still is.
– Human rights – The Body Shops aim is to protect human rights in the UK and over the world, in places such as Africa there are programmes set-up by The Body Shop to defend the peoples right, though this is still in process, The Body Shop aims to protect more and more people over the world, this aim is becoming a reality day by day.
– Environmental issues – The Body Shop already is protecting the planet by disposing their goods in an environmentally friendly manner, it also is trying to encourage other to do the same via workshops and programmes set-up by the company.
The Body Shop aims to keep protecting peoples rights, fair trade etc and at the same time carry on expanding, to do this they will need raise funds via workshops, certain amount of profits, charity wrist bands and through costumers who are willing to donate money for The Body Shops good causes. This is one way they can achieve their objectives. As many of the objectives and aims are met The Body Shop is still aiming to sustain its aims by carrying on what it has been doing for years and setting an example to other businesses.
Below is how The Body Shop carries on doing the good work (meeting their objectives and carrying on doing it):
As you can see each chart shows how The Body Shop completes each task for animal testing, environmental issues, these are just a few examples as there are many more. Also The Body Shop cleverly produced a table to show if they have met their aims and objective or if they are still in progress, they tick off accordingly. Below is the table and as you can see it was started in 1995 and finished in 2005.
It is quite remarkable that The Body Shop actually takes all these step to ensure their objectives are met, even Boots who are considered as The Body Shops rivals are not this complex meaning The Body Shop has a better management system and that they are ahead of the competition