You have been exposed to several cases of corporate unethical behaviour. Ethical misconduct of senior executives appear to be at the centre of these scandals. In Australia, the James Hardie Industries ‘asbestos’ case has been featured in the media for some time. The company has been accused of causing over half of the number of documented cases of mesothemilia, a lung cancer caused by asbestos. In your in-class essay writing, you are required to do the following.
1. Using utilitarianism, discuss two reasons each in favour of, and against, James Hardie executives’ conduct.
2. As summarised in your week 2 tutorial exercise, reflect in your essay, how your views concerning ‘responsible business’ have been influenced by
•your research for this assessment task, and
•by your engagement with the subject matter of COMM101.
3. Referencing and citations:
The two references provided below should be used in your essay but are only starting points for your research. On their own, they are not sufficient. A requirement of this assessment task is that you should submit to your tutor, as an attachment to your essay, a list of references consulted whilst preparing for this essay. This list should be cited in your essay and prepared using a word processor and produced via a printer. Ensure you follow the referencing guidelines set out in your subject outline. As a guide, we expect that you should have consulted at least six references (including the two mentioned below) in preparing for this assessment task.
1. Read One Philosopher’s Approach to Business Ethics in your textbook, Shaw et al (2013), pp.105-112. Use the content to develop your essay.
2. Read and use the content from the Australian Securities and Investments Commission’s Decision in James Hardie Penalty Proceedings (Tuesday 13 November 2012), available at http://www.asic.gov.au/asic/asic.nsf/byheadline/12-275MR+Decision+in+James+Hardie+penalty+proceedings?openDocument